Friday, August 12, 2011

PIPERS BROOK GEWÜRZTRAMINER 2009

- Pipers River/Tamar Valley, TAS
- $22-$30
- Screwcap
- 13.5%alc

Living off my fond memories of the sublime 2005 (95pts), I still consider Pipers Brook to be Australia's best maker of spicy, musky, purely fruited gewürztraminer. Really, it's just another wine that boldly states what a perfect fit Tasmania is for the white Alsatian varieties.

There's a clean air of purity to Pipers Brook's 2009 which is particularly striking. Within it resides mineral accented scents of candied musk sticks, fresh lychees, apples, mandarin skin and white flower. To say it's pristine might be something of an understatement. The palate dances with a restrained oily viscosity but is equally as defined by its cleanliness. It's long, penetrative and precise, with a flavour profile that marries marginally juicy lychees with a clever, faintly savoury touch of sweet pastry and a clean, crisp, refreshing finish gripped nicely by white grape tannins. As a young Tasmanian traminer (from vines approaching 40 years of age) it's practically flawless, reflecting both region and variety to a tee.

ü+ Stunningly pure and brilliant. At less than $30, Pipers Brook's Gewürztraminer must be one of the most unheralded white wines in Australia. In fact, why don't I drink it more often... Drink to 2015.
94 points


3 comments:

  1. Not a wine I have tried, nor a variety I'm normally that interested in, but you've got me keen to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, aside from the obvious Thai, what do you generally eat with dry Gewurztraminer? I enjoy drinking it but struggle to match it with food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red and joshgtv,

    Sorry about the late reply, I've been hampered by a physical injury this week which has kept me away from the computer. . . :/

    I've got something of a soft spot for Piper's Traminer. There's a purity/clarity to it when young which is just so deliciously Tasmanian to me, whilst it still contains a very well defined varietal profile. With a little age they develop richness, but can also gather oiliness. Highly recommended Red, especially with warmer weather just around the corner, maybe. :)

    Other than Thai food I'm not sure what I'd drink with gewurztraminer Josh. If anything, I find it can work reasonably well as an aperitif at the start of meals, or sometimes as a quick palate refresher, between dry whites and reds. This particular, rather dry Pipers Brook Traminer might work well as an aperitif in my opinion.

    Cheers,
    Chris P

    ReplyDelete