Thursday, August 18, 2011

PEWSEY VALE RIESLING 2011

- Eden Valley, SA
- $14-$22
- Screwcap
- 12.5%alc

Despite having had a few less than ideal experiences at tastings, my patience has finally resigned and I've decided to purchase a 2011. Given the label's impeccable track record, Pewsey Vale Riesling seemed as logical a starting point as any. The 2011 Riesling was harvested between the 23rd of March and the 8th of April. Compare that to the excellent 2008, harvested between the 25th of February and the 13th of March.

Perhaps a touch closed, Pewsey Vale's 2011 seems a bit shy at first, although with a little patience it reveals a typically clean, stony nose of lemon and apple blossom, surprisingly bolstered by a sweetish note of tinned pear. For the most part its palate is relatively open and generous, if somewhat round in sections. A juicy punch of green apples and lime juice announce the wine, which extends with good length and hints of tinned fruit, brought to life by a tongue tingling acidity reminiscent of fizzy lemon sherbet. Despite the longer ripening period benefited to the 2011, its style actually sides quite well with some of Pewsey Vale's other recent releases.

ü+ Although a bit tight on the nose and open on the palate (if anything I probably prefer my young Eden Valley rieslings the other way round), Pewsey Vale's 2011 still presents a pleasingly juicy expression of long regional flavour, with a lively wash of zippy acids kicking the wine across the line. It's easy to see why this is one of Australia's most loved whites. Nice work Louisa. Drink to 2019.
91 points


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you preferring a riesling with round aromas and a tight palate, which gets it exactly.

    Not tried any 2011 rieslings yet, though tempted because I am seeing them on the shelves now. I usually wait until Spring/Summer because I know I will enjoy drinking them much more when the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing better than me Sean!

    I normally can't resist and buy the first one I see, but this year I've been let down by a few experiences with 2011 whites at cellar doors already. I recall having my first 2011 tasting back in May, which, for a later season, seemed to be getting released unnervingly early - and tasted as such.

    It seems my curiosity finally won over my patience in mid-August this year, which is later than usual. :)

    ReplyDelete