Monday, August 10, 2009

WOODSTOCK THE STOCKS SHIRAZ 2006

 - McLaren Vale, SA
 - $48-$65
 - Screwcap
 - 15.0%alc

The 2006 release of Woodstock's single vineyard Stocks Shiraz sports a new, redesigned white label. After chatting to Woodstock chief Scott Collett last year, I've been ably informed this change was the marketing team's idea, not his (I much preferred the old black bottle, with its label distinctively imprinted straight onto the glass).

After 18 months in mostly French oak (50% new I'm told) it's rather oaky but very pleasant and classy, opening to a pronounced fragrance of lovely nutty/cedar/vanilla and walnut oak, supported by regional fruit undertones of red plum and blackberries. Smooth and vibrant, its medium-bodied palate is beautifully long, announcing a more savoury finish with a pliant extract of grainy tannins and handsome oak overlapping its vivid red/dark fruit flavours. Despite its substantial alcohol there are no signs of over ripeness, and it's a lot classier than many from the Vale.

ü The 2006 is another fine expression of a Ben Glaetzer made Stocks Shiraz; it's lavishly, smartly oaked, yet truly regional and downright delicious. Drink to 2018.
93 points


3 comments:

  1. def preferred the old bottle too - much classier

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeh the new one looks much cheaper too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for dropping by Adrian - you're too right!

    I've got a little more information on Woodstock's label change if you're interested, so here goes.

    It seems apart from their Vintage Fortified Shiraz, that the label changes have taken place across the whole range.

    From what I've been told the changes were predominantly implemented by a single marketing rep (whom I've actually met and seems to be a very nice person - so I won't mention any names) who thought that after 25 years of the same label Woodstock needed a change.

    The previous Woodstock labels displayed an image of three rooks (this can be seen in the Sweet Wines section of this site where I reviewed their 2005 Botrytis Sweet White). The three rooks symbolised the three Collett brothers who were then involved with the business - as Scott remains the only brother involved with the company, that three rooks has been replaced by a single rook.

    On the weekend I managed to ask a Woodstock representative what sort of feedback they've had about the label change. I was informed that responses were split 50/50, but that in most cases younger people (like myself?) preferred the newer labels.

    As a 'younger' person I think the new labels look significantly cheaper, almost like something I could print at home on my computer. I miss the gold leaf of the old labels, as well as the beautiful, black Stocks bottle which had its label printed straight onto glass - just classical ;)

    But that's just my opinion

    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete