Tuesday, July 20, 2010

HARDYS OOMOO SHIRAZ 2008

- McLaren Vale, SA
- $11-$20
- Screwcap
- 14.0%alc

Hardys' Oomoo has been one of my go to labels for cheap Australian shiraz for several years now. However, the recent announcement of Constellation's axing of a further 70 employees from their Reynella HQ has left a faintly bitter taste in my mouth before this bottle's even been opened. Then on top of that came today's news of Hardys offering voluntary redundancies to 20 staff at the Tintara winery, in a move signifying Constellation's intentions of downsizing a McLaren Vale site steeped in history. Tough times...

Initially tighter in its aromatic profile than one might expect, the 2008 Oomoo Shiraz eventually opens to black plum and prune notes underpinned by resonant whiffs of tar/treacle, baked earth and meaty cherries. Notably thick and rich, its palate reveals a meaty expression of over-ripe dark fruit/currant characters, which lack freshness and vitality. It finishes with slightly astringent baked fruit undertones and a simple structure marked by sour-edged acidity, and it should certainly be drunk over the shorter term.

O Unlike some of the label's better wines, the 2008 Oomoo doesn't rise from the pack of cheap South Australian shiraz. Drink to 2013.
87 points


8 comments:

  1. I liked this for the price, Except for all the other stuff that's happened, not good. But perhaps on trying it again I may taste it differently - only had a couple of sips once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, considering the price, that's why it didn't get the dreaded red cross really, but like you say Sarah, it actually isn't that bad too. I just expected better because I have the '05 in my back tasting notes as an 89 and the '06 as a 90, not to mention I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that Paul Carpenter (Hardys' red winemaker) rated the 2008 vintage as the best for McLaren Vale since 1998.

    Perhaps the dramas of the day got to me too? I was raised in Reynella y'know.......:(

    Cheers,
    Chris P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the 04, 05 and 06 Oomoo were on fire - extremely reliable, affordable wines. Given the tough 07 vintage and generally guarded info about 08 I have steered clear of this label. Based on your review Chris, they have not dropped the ball so much as come back to the pack.

    On a related note, it is sad to see a big conglomerate 'downsizing' to clear debt on the spreadsheet, in the process cutting into a historic wine region.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think coming back to the pack sums up this Oomoo just perfectly Brown. Spot on really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first Oomoo I had back in 2006 (don't remember the vintage) was a sweet, thick coctail and I didn't like it one bit. Now I'm boycotting Constellation for ripping out a historic vineyard site and will no longer buy Hardy's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harsh but fair Anon! But I wonder if boycotting Constellation would have a catch 22 effect, i.e. the more people that don't buy their wines, the less money they make, the less money they make, the more people lose their jobs and vineyards become housing developments. They've got themselves into an ugly spiral really and personally, I'm not sure how they're gonna get out, particularly in the face of growing (conscious,like yourself) consumer resentment.

    Cheers,
    Chris P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm a bit funny to get angry at a company for downsizing during tough times. Maybe if you buy more then they'll be able to expand again? Just a thought...

    I'm no wine expert, but I have a 2008 Oomoo Shiraz in front of me accompanied by some smooth jazz music. No worries there - my general comment would be on the thick plum taste. There's a nice spicy wood flavour to it as well (oak?) For the price you can't really go wrong. The downsizing motivates me to buy more in order to keep this fine brand going...

    Aaaaah smooth hammond organ... in comes the sax... I'm content.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your informative website.
    Please would you comment on the 2007 vintage of this OOMOO Shiraz?
    I have been given a bottle.
    Ken McMurtrie

    ReplyDelete