Tuesday, December 22, 2009

MORRIS LIQUEUR TOKAY

- Rutherglen, VIC
- $14-$21
- Screwcap
- 17.5%alc

For anyone looking for an entry point into the under-rated delights of Australia's rich and luscious fortified wines, they need look no further than the Morris Liqueur Tokay. At $15 it isn't just one of my perennial favourite Australian wines, it's also an absolute bargain. Every time I see it on a wine list, the little grandfather inside of me can't help but raise a suggestive smile.

A lush golden brown colour, this Non-Vintage Tokay opens to a fragrant nose of toffee, nuts and tea supported by overtones of fruitcake character. Luxuriantly smooth and sticky, with pleasing balance, its rich palate shows a myriad of bright, ripe tokay flavours with notes of honeyed sultana and toffee in the driver's seat. Of particular note is the fine finish; clean and generously long, with just a hint of spirity warmth which doesn't dominate.

ü+ Once all the sparkling shiraz has been polished off, there might not be a more appropriate way to wind down Christmas than a bottle of Morris Liqueur Tokay. Drink now.
92 points


1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris, I stumbled across your blog and it makes for great reading. I scoured reviews a few months ago until I found a tokay under $20 to try and this was the one I ended up with. It is a fantastic value for money choice.
    I am tempted to try the old premium tokay after reading your review as well...always nice to have a 'top shelf' one to enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete