Wednesday, July 15, 2009

NEPENTHE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2009

 - Adelaide Hills, SA
 - $16-$24
 - Screwcap
 - 13.5%alc

Even though it's not one of my personal favourites, young wine drinkers regularly ask me; "whaddya think about Nepenthe's Sauvignon Blanc?" Personally I'd prefer it if they'd ask me about Cullen's Mangan, but what this does tell me is that Nepenthe's Sauvignon Blanc is cleverly marketed; or promoted aggressively even.

The 2009 Nepenthe is clean and clear in aroma, showing a greenish, faintly herbal fragrance of passionfruit and banana. Refreshing and uncomplicated, its palate shows surprising concentration for this label, unloading a mineral fruit profile and juicy mid-palate, it just lacks the length, cut and precision required for a higher score.

O Once again Nepenthe's Sauvignon Blanc isn't completely to my liking, but it should still appeal to its army of followers. Drink to 2010.
88 points


No comments:

Post a Comment